Nothing says summer like a fresh and fruity salad recipe. And this strawberry avocado salad with sweet lemon vinaigrette is filled with summertime goodies.
Besides your classic, crisp romaine lettuce, the salad is full of fresh strawberries, rich avocado, toasty pecans, and of course the fresh lemon vinaigrette to tie it all together. Just thinking about it makes me want to go make this right now! Here’s how it goes:
First comes a little bit of slicing and dicing. Slice your fresh strawberries (can we just talk about how amazing strawberries are tasting right now?!), cube your avocado, and roughly chop or tear your romaine lettuce. Personally I’m a chopper, but don’t worry I love you tear-ers out there too.
To toast the pecan pieces, spread out the pieces on an un-greased cookie sheet and place in a 375 degree oven for around 5-8 minutes, or until you begin to smell the pecans. Careful not to overcook! As soon as that delicious toasty nutty smell starts radiating from your oven, you’re done. I’m tellin’ you, this simple step makes all the difference. The pecans go from being just a crunchy textural addition to the salad to adding a whole other dimension of flavor– rich and robust. Which just so happens to balance perfectly with the bright freshness of the lemon vinaigrette. Which is my new favorite dressing recipe! It’s liquid gold! It’s tart from the fresh lemon juice, but also sweet from the sugar and agave nectar. It’s that perfect balance that gives you a super fresh and bright hit of flavor. And mixed with the strawberry and avocado, it just screams summer.
I do advise using fresh lemon juice if possible (and in this recipe you will notice the difference), but in a pinch the bottled stuff will do. Whisk together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and agave. That’s all there is to it!
This is one of those salads that you serve and everybody asks you for the recipe. And not just casually commenting that they want the recipe and then forgetting about it. No. They are not going to let you leave without the recipe in their hand. And I don’t blame them! It really is the perfect summertime salad. Enjoy!
- 1-2 heads of chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- To toast the pecan pieces, spread out the pieces on an un-greased cookie sheet and place in a 375 degree oven for around 5-7 minutes, or until you begin to smell the pecans.
- To make the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and agave nectar.
- Combine chopped romaine lettuce with strawberries, cooled pecan pieces, and avocado. Gently toss and drizzle with dressing, adding more in small amounts to avoid overdressing (because even salads don't like coming to a party overdressed). Enjoy!
Another recipe with avocados:
Charred Corn Guacamole– Sweet and smoky corn is the star ingredient in this charred corn guacamole recipe. You will love the bold and fresh flavors!