A classic roasted chicken recipe, because nothing tastes better than perfectly roasted chicken. With just chicken, carrots, potatoes, and onion soup mix, it’s so easy (yet so delicious!) that it feels like cheating.
Sometimes you just want the classics. I love love LOVE trying new ingredients, new cuisines, and new cooking methods. But sometimes what sounds best are those familiar, cozy flavors that never go out of style. When that’s what I’m in the mood for, onion roasted chicken and potatoes is my go-to recipe. I mean let’s be real for a second. Is there really anything better than perfectly roasted chicken and potatoes?
I feel like it’s one of life’s hidden tricks that something so delicious is so simple. When else is the best thing also the easiest thing? Definitely not when it comes to finding the best dress for your friend’s wedding. Or the best shoes to match the dress, that don’t make you want to rip your feet off. Or the best deal on plane tickets that also maximizes your time at the wedding but lets you sleep at least one normal night but not have to use up all your vacation days at work. Whatever. This chicken is one of those rare moments so let’s just enjoy it.
This recipe uses onion soup mix to subtly but perfectly enhance the classic flavor of roasted chicken. It’s not too overpowering. Not too in your face. Just enough to make the chicken sing on your taste buds. And it’s cooked alongside potatoes and carrots, which absorb all that chicken amazingness. Yum. Those are some good potatoes right there, trust me.
So next time you need a quick meal to put on the dinner table, or a dish that will please all your guests (is it just me or is that getting harder and harder these days?), or a tiny break from real life to relish in those classic flavors, onion roasted chicken is there for you. Enjoy.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 potatoes, cut into chunks (I like to use a mix of russet, red, and Yukon gold potatoes)
- 1 ½ packets Onion Soup Mix
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl or ziploc bag, combine all ingredients and mix until the seasonings are coating the chicken, potatoes and carrots. Pour into a 9x13 pan in an even layer.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the carrots are cooked through and the chicken juices run clear. I like to baste a couple of times while it’s cooking. Enjoy!
Another delicious chicken recipe: Crunchy Cornflakes Chicken