This sweet potato soup with beef bacon is pure perfection. It’s got creamy sweet potatoes, crispy bacon, sweet maple syrup, and a hint of lime juice.
Hello and welcome to the epitome of cozy fall amazingness! Soup!
Yup, this is THE perfect time of year, and maybe even WEEK of the year. The air is crisp but not freezing, the time just changed so that means looooong cozy evenings in front of the fire, pumpkin spice lattes are flowing, and Thanksgiving planning and excitement is underway. All of that without the stress of present planning, holiday baking, long line waiting…..yet. Like I said, this is THE perfect time of year.
So how should we celebrate this amazing week? With the best fall soup you’ve ever tasted! I’m not even joking. This sweet potato soup with beef bacon is perfect. PUR-FECT. Let’s just start with the key player here—bacon! Well…beef bacon that is. I used beef fry and fried it up just like bacon. As a kosher-keeping person, I’ve never fried bacon before. And if I’m being honest, it felt a little strange to fry bacon in a pan just like I’ve seen chefs on the cooking shows do for years. If I’m being really honest, I had to double check with myself a couple times: “Is this bacon? Is this kosher? You got this at a kosher store right? It’s beef right? Ok you’re good. Proceed.”
So after I fried that bacon, I started with the rest of the soup by frying onions. In the bacon fat. That was an amazing smell if I ever did smell one. Once the onions were golden, I added in cubed sweet potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and let it simmer away. The potatoes were soft in around 30 minutes, and then I blended it with my immersion blender. Let me just say that the color is gorgeous. Literally gorgeous. These pictures do not do it justice—you’ll have to see for yourself. Then I finished it off with lime juice to liven it up, and served it up with that crispy bacon amazingness and a splash of maple syrup. I haven’t had a recipe this delicious in a while. You’ve got the rich and creamy (sweet potatoes), salty and crunchy (beef bacon), zesty and tangy (lime juice), and a splash of sweetness (maple syrup). It’s INSANE! I’m telling you, this soup literally feels like a completely delectable Fall hug.
And if you’re looking for a soup to serve at your Thanksgiving meal, I vote this one! I’m flying to my parents for Thanksgiving (so excited!) and am going to lobby for adding this to our menu. My mom might try to tell me that soup is not normal at a Thanksgiving meal. But this soup recipe is not normal, Mom! She’s going to ask me if we really neeeeed another dish since we are already making 6 million things, and I’m going to beg and cry until she lets me add it.
I’ll keep you updated on my progress. Meanwhile, enjoy!
- 1 package of Beef Fry (6-7 pieces)
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (I use the frozen garlic cubes)
- 6 sweet potatoes (4 pounds), peeled and diced
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- ½ a lime
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add beef fry in a single layer and fry until crispy, turning half way through.
- Remove beef fry and cool on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Add diced onions into the same pot. Cook in beef bacon fat until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Make a hole in the center of the onions and add minced garlic. Cook until golden and fragrant (30-60 seconds).
- Add sweet potato, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Add juice of ½ a lime and stir to incorporate. Serve with crispy bacon bits and a splash of maple syrup. Enjoy!